Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ballerina Girl

"Ballerina Girl... you are so lovely."

I remember dance classes from when I was 3 years old. I loved dancing. I was always a 'princess' at heart, just like Hannah. I remember the way ballet shoes fit me, and the smell of the studio. I danced until I was 13. I recall recitals, rehearsals and daily classes that were quite overwhelming at times. I have wonderful memories of dancing at home and putting on shows for my father when he'd come home from work. One day, he brought home a Lionel Richie cassette, with Ballerina Girl. I would dance to that song for hours.

Hannah took dance classes for 5 weeks at the YMCA. It was a wonderful experience. Nana thought this class might be a great introduction. She was in a class of 5 children, that was taught by 2 high school seniors. Hannah would comment on how fast the girls would talk.

Of course, half the fun of dance class, was going to Nana's on Saturday morning to put on her tights, leotard and get her hair perfect. She's such a girly girl. Where Hannah lacked rhythm and coordination, she made up for with smiles and genuine emotion. She paid attention to her teachers, followed directions and loved every minute of it.

The best thing about dance class was that it allowed Hannah to interact with other children. She would study what they were wearing, listen to what they'd say and observe what they were doing- literally. She'd just stare at them.

It was such a joy to watch Hannah as she explored new things, and be involved in something that she liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment